1. Local self-government in the Russian Federation shall provide for
the independent resolution by the population of issues of local
importance, and the possession, use and management of municipal
2. Local self-government shall be exercised by citizens by means of
referendum, elections and other forms of direct expression of their
will, and through elected and other bodies of local self-government.
1. Local self-government shall be administered in urban and rural
settlements and on other territories with due consideration to
historical and other local traditions. The structure of bodies of
local self-government shall be determined by the population
2. Changes of borders of the territories in which local
self-government is administered shall be permitted with due
consideration to the opinion of the inhabitants of the relevant
1. Bodies of local self-government shall independently manage
municipal property, form, approve and implement the local budget,
introduce local taxes and levies, ensure the preservation of public
order, and resolve other issues of local importance.
2. Bodies of local self-government may be vested by law with certain
State powers and accordingly receive material and financial
resources which are necessary for their implementation. The
implementation of the vested power shall be controlled by the State.
Local self-government in the Russian Federation shall be guaranteed
by the right to legal protection and compensation of additional
expenses arising as a result of decisions adopted by State
government bodies, and by a ban on restrictions of the rights of
local self-government which are established by the Constitution of
the Russian Federation and federal laws.